Fall Benefit Concert – Next Thursday, 10/10 at 7 pm
Our student Chorus officers have selected Coral Restoration Foundation™ as a charity to support this year. We will accept a free will donation after the concert in the lobby.
Monday, 10/7 (Rehearsals)
- Chorale, Camerata & Chamber Singers: 3:00 – 4:00 pm
- Bella Voce: 3:00 – 4:20 pm
- All ADVANCED Treble Voices: 3:00 – 4:00 & 4:25 – 5:00 pm
Tuesday, 10/8 (Rehearsals)
- Camerata: 3:00 – 3:30 pm
- Chorale: 3:35 – 4:00 pm
- All ADVANCED Treble Voices: 4:00 – 4:30 pm
Thursday, 10/10 (Concert Day)
|Advanced Treble Voices||5:00 pm||5:15 pm|
|Chorale||5:15 pm||5:30 pm|
|Camerata||5:30 pm||5:45 pm|
|Chamber Singers & Bella Voce||5:45 pm||6:00 pm|
|All Choirs||6:00-6:20 pm|
|Chamber Singers & Select Treble||6:20-6:40 pm|
The concert is the summative assessment for the 1st quarter. Students who choose to miss the concert for a game or other event are choosing to forfeit 30% of their grade for this assessment.
It is important for all students to communicate any conflicts and concerns to me and, where appropriate, to submit a Performing Arts Absence Form: https://southlakeschorus.org/wp-content/uploads/2018/09/Performing-Arts-Absence-Form.pdf
CONCERT ATTIRE & OTHER EXPECTATIONS:
- Choir T-shirt and blue jeans (without holes in the them)
- Students are expected to be groomed for the concert:
- Hair combed and out of their faces
- No extraneous jewelry, bracelets or other accessories
- No perfume or cologne
- Deodorize, please
- Students will not be permitted to have cell phones, ear buds, or other electronic devices during the concert. Students may choose to:
- leave their device
with their parents
- leave their device at home
- turn in their device at check-in and pick it up after the concert (Devices will be secured in the chorus office during the concert)
- Students who do not wish to comply will forfeit their concert assessment grade
URGENT NEED FOR PARENT VOLUNTEERS:
Select Treble is responsible for providing volunteers for this concert, but only a few parents have signed up. If your student is in Select Treble, please help: Sign up here
PCA Membership Campaign
The PCA (Parents for the Choral Arts) raises funds beyond chorus class and other fees: the PCA raises money to allow the Choral program to truly be a top-notch program of excellence and development for our singers. This includes:
- professional recording and sound technicians
- piano tuning
- music professionals
- administrative support
- equipment and more
Below are the three programs that will help raise the $24,000 needed for the budget this year. Please review each link for more details:
- Parent/Guardian PCA Membership GOAL = $8,000 Join PCA
- Friends & Family Fundraising GOAL = $6,000 Friends & Family
- Corporate Sponsorships GOAL = $10,000 Corporate Sponsors
We need parent volunteers to help in the following specific areas:
- Friends & Family campaign in October and November
- Long-term Membership Chair to lead fundraising campaign
- Corporate sponsorship
Please email Juliana Carter at email@example.com
- if you are interested and/or willing to lead one of the campaigns listed above
- if you work for, own or know of local or other businesses who would be interested in sponsoring the Chorus
- if you have any questions
Disney Trip Update
Thank you to everyone who has made Payments #1, #2, and #3 for the Disney Chorus Trip! But if you still need to make a payment,
- go to www.myschoolbucks.com or
- send in a check to Ms. G, made payable to SLHS with “Disney Chorus Trip” in the memo line
The amount for Payment #4 will be announced soon.
- If you are using Scrip, you will pay payment #4 by check. The Trip Coordinator will email you to let you know how much your final payment should be.
- If you received a scholarship, please pay by check also with the amount on your updated contract.
If you have any questions, please email firstname.lastname@example.org
All Chorus Forms & Fees – Due Immediately
FORMS Update: 100 (or 63%) out of 158 students have turned in all required forms as of 10/5/2019.
If you have not turned in your forms, please do so ASAP.
Required for ALL STUDENTS:
- FCPS Emergency Care Form
- FCPS Parental Authorization for Field Trip
- Review the 2019-20 Chorus Syllabus and complete:
IF you will be driving/carpooling ANY students for a chorus activity, you must complete the following form(s):
Parent/Chaperone Drivers: FCPS Parent-Chaperone Driver’s License & Auto Insurance Info
All Student Drivers:
NOTE: We do have hard copies of these forms if you need them.
FEES: If you have not done so yet, please pay these fees through MySchoolBucks ASAP:
- South Lakes HS Chorus Course Materials Fee: $160 for All students
- Choir Gown Fee: One-Time Payment of $75 for All New Students and those Returning Students who need a replacement
Important Information about Fees:
The county will waive and pay for the uniform fees for any student who
- receives free/reduced lunch AND
- has done the consent to share form: Consent-to-Share-Info
If you are not receiving Free/Reduced lunch but would like to budget your Course Fee payment or Gown payment, please complete SLHS Chorus Financial Aid or Payment Plan Form and submit it to our Choral Director, Mrs. Gigliotti.
For concerns and/or questions about these fees, please contact Mrs. Gigliotti at email@example.com.
Broadway Night 2020
PARENTS: Please SAVE THE DATE for the mandatory casting reveal meeting on Thursday, 10/17, 7-8 pm at South Lakes HS.
More info to come soon! If you have any questions or are looking to take on an active volunteer role this year, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org.
Support South Lakes Chorus through Amazon Smile!
Parents for the Choral Arts (PCA) is now a registered non-profit with Amazon Smile. Therefore, you can support the South Lakes Chorus with your everyday Amazon Purchases!
Click on https://smile.amazon.com/ch/26-3487105 to select PCA as your charity for Amazon Smile.
And don’t forget to visit amazon smile for all your purchases to keep donating to South Lakes Chorus!
Students who have made their Gown Fee payment may pick up their gowns. If you have not made payment yet, please do so through MySchoolBucks ASAP.
ALTERATIONS: Students must arrange/pay for alterations themselves. A list of approved Alterations Services & Specific Instructions will be provided with the gowns. The cost of alterations is around $25 -$50.
Please contact Mitsuyo Sprague at email@example.com if you have any questions.
A Cappella Announcement
View the constitution so students can understand what the groups require for attendance and participation: SLHS A Cappella Groups Constitution
2020 YoungArts Competition
For eligibility and other info can be found here: 2020 YoungArts Competition
Southgate Community Day Talent Show – Saturday, 10/19, 11 am – 4 pm
at Southgate Community Center: 12125 Pinecrest Road, Reston, VA 20191
The Audition is this Friday, 10/11, 4 – 6:30 pm at Southgate Community Center. NOTE: Audition is open to 1st – 12th graders.
Each student who is interested in competing in the talent show should fill out the Audition Registration Form (download below) and attend the Audition.
If you have any questions, you may call Christine Hodgson at the Southgate Community Center: 703-860-0676.
A Day with Natalie Weiss!
Saturday, 10/12, at Union Stage in SW DC
LaVoce Studios is bringing Natalie Weiss to DC for a full day of instruction: a vocal & acting masterclass, a dance class, & a career advice talk! For more information, including ticketing, go to: A Day with Natalie Weiss
Robert E. Simon Music Scholarships
The Reston Chorale is continuing to offer Robert E Simon Music Scholarships to high school and college students.
Choral Arts Society of Washington Youth Choir
The ensemble is comprised of 9th grade 12th grade “all-star” singers from area high schools. And it is currently looking to expand the scope of the group and extending an invitation to our Chorus students.
Visit Choral Arts Youth Choir for more information, including audition details.
The gospel choir at United Christian Parish of Reston
Their information can be found here.