Pre-Assessment Concert – This Wed, 3/13 in Little Theatre
Hughes MS: 6:30-7:15 pm – SLHS: 7:30-8:30 pm
Parents: please come to the pre-assessment concert and support our choirs as they prepare for the SOL, which will be on March 23 at TC Williams HS in Alexandria.
Parent Volunteers Needed
Seahawk Camerata and Bella Voce have been assigned to provide volunteers for this concert.
The Concert is in 2 days, but we still need to fill several slots, which are all critical to successfully run the concert:
- Check-in/Chaperone before Concert (6:10-7:30 pm in Cafeteria/Chorus Room) – need 1 more
- Chaperone during Concert (7:30-8:30 pm in Theatre/Back Stage) – need 3 more
- Clean-up (8:30-9:00 pm in Theatre/Chorus Toom) – need 4 more
If you have not done so, please sign up to volunteer: 3/13 Concert Volunteer Sign-up
Tuesday, March 12, 3-4 pm – After School Rehearsal
This rehearsal is only for the students in Advanced Choirs who will be going on the NYC trip.
Wednesday, March 13: Concert – Call Times
|Ensemble||Luggage Check-in||Call Time||Check-in||Holding|
Performing in NYC
|6:10 pm||Cafeteria||Chorus Rm|
NOT going to NYC
What to Wear for Concert
a) Advanced Choirs: Chorus T-shirt, Jeans (NO holes) & Shoes of your choice
b) Chorale & Camerata:
- Gown, nude color Knee Highs, black Dress Shoes
- Tux, black socks, black Dress Shoes
Spring Trip (Advanced Choirs) – This Week: March 14-18!
Tuesday, March 12
a) After school rehearsal: 3-4 PM
b) Check-In Part 1: 6:30-8:00 PM, Chorus Room (come anytime within this window, REQUIRED for EVERYONE )
Minimum requirement of 1 parent per family to attend to review and verify the following:
- Emergency Care Form Information on file is accurate (submitted in the Fall)
- Your student does not currently have a fever, mono, strep, MRSA, pink eye, flu, newly broken bones, or other significant and/or contagious infections that would require urgent care/ER visit upon arrival to NYC*
- Pick up student’s NYC T-Shirt (please remember to pack in luggage)
- Verify completion of all forms
- Drop off any medications with your child’s name labeled on a clear Ziplock bag with medication authorization form to be administered by SLHS staff
- Completion of OTC form (Notary will be present)
Our goal is to have a safe, healthy, and rewarding travel experience. If your child has any of the aforementioned illnesses, we do not encourage for them to travel.
We, as SLHS teachers, are volunteering our time to offer this enrichment opportunity to our students. Moreover, we are liable and take full professional and ‘parent’ responsibility for our students during these trips.
Therefore, we need your cooperation, honesty, and support to make this a rewarding and positive experience for all:
- If your child has any specific illnesses that need extra attention (emotional illnesses, prone to seizures, severe allergies, etc.), you must inform the SLHS staff handling all medical related items for the trip on Tuesday evening.
- We realize that students may fall ill, over the course of the trip, and we are prepared and staffed to manage this; however, it is essential for you to be transparent about any special needs so that proactive care can be taken.
Wednesday, March 13
a) Check-In Part 2 (Luggage Check-in): 5:30-6:30 PM, Girls & Boys Dressing Rooms
- Students will bring luggage to either the boys or girls dressing rooms (will be designated by Blue Bus/Green Bus)
- All luggage will be tagged with customized labels (provided)
- All students are to bring their uniform attire in their SLHS Chorus Garment Bag or personal Garment Bag
b) Students will perform their spotlight piece at 7:00 PM (end of middle school concert.)
c) High School Pre-Assessment Concert begins at 7:30 PM: Students need to wear jeans without holes in them & Choir t-shirts for concert.
Thursday, March 14
- Students to wear Choir t-shirt for travel to NYC.
- Students will be released from 8th period to gather luggage and receive final reminders about expectations on trip.
- Load busses at 4 PM, Leave at 4:30 PM
- No peanut products of any kind
- No re-sealable containers or bags of any kind. (No water bottles, Ziplock bags for snacks, etc.)
- No opened bottles or snack bags permitted in carry on
- All snack items must be sealed prior to getting on the bus.
- Plastic bottles only
- No high energy 5-hour drinks
Please review the slide show that was presented at the meeting and includes important contact information: Spring Trip Slide Presentation
Additionally, please carefully read What to Expect at Carnegie Hall, the rules & regulations related to Carnegie Hall. If these rules are not followed, Carnegie Hall can/will administer a $15,000 fine.
VA State Assessment (SOL) – Next Sat, 3/23 (times vary)
At T.C. Williams HS in Alexandria, VA
Here is our assigned schedule:
|Bella Voce||8:00 am||8:20 am||8:40 am||9:00 am||9:10 am|
|Seahawk Chorale||9:40 am||10:00 am||10:20 am||10:40 am||10:50 am|
|Seahawk Camerata||11:40 am||12:00 pm||12:20 pm||12:40 pm||12:50 pm|
|Chamber Singers||1:20 pm||1:40 pm||2:00 pm||2:20 pm||2:30 pm|
|Select Treble||3:00 pm||3:20 pm||3:40 pm||4:00 pm||4:10 pm|
a) Bus transportation will be provided to and from the event for students who need it.
The bus will leave SLHS at 7:00 AM and return at 5:00 PM. Students riding the bus will perform and then watch the ensembles be adjudicated in the Theatre. Also, they will need to bag their lunches and bring snacks.
b) Parents are welcomed to transport their students.
c) Students, who have turned in the appropriate drivers forms, may also drive themselves in accordance with FCPS regulations and Virginia state law.
If you are not riding the bus, you need to be at T.C. Williams during the assigned arrival time. It is essential that you are on time because the entire schedule runs in 20-minute intervals.
Please be sure to check your uniforms and make sure they fit! If any swaps need to be made, this should happen now. If your child needs a uniform item, please let us know immediately.
It’s all part of the grade! The rubric for our SOL includes professionalism, and attire is a sub category of this area.
Scrip Fundraising for Chorus Trip
Start fundraising with Scrip for Next Year’s Trip!
To register, go to:
- ShopWithScripand select Join a Program
- Enter Enrollment Code: 53ECEC3317977
- Enter the student’s name for whom you’re fundraising in Step 3.
- Enroll in online payments (PrestoPay) before placing your order.
- For detailed information about the ordering process, go to: https://southlakeschorus.org/scrip.
Orders for physical cards and check orders will be placed at noon on the following dates: 3/8, 3/22, 4/5, 4/19, 5/3, 5/17, and 5/31
Chipotle Fundraiser raised $142.31 last Monday!
Thank you to those who came in support for SLHS Chorus and PCA!
Annual Cappies Gala – Monday, 5/27 at the Kennedy Center
The Gala Cappies Choir Director has put out an all-call for any interested singers to audition to be a part of the choir. It requires 4 rehearsals, followed by the Gala performance on Monday, May 27th at the Kennedy Center.
Interested students should fill out the form: https://form.jotform.us/90386706784166
The audition process is all online, and not arduous. Auditions are due MARCH 16th, so we are on a moderately tight turn around.
The Alexandria Harmonizers Youth Harmony Festival 2019
Friday, April 5, 2019 – 8:30 am to 8:30 pm in Alexandria
This all-day a cappella music workshop/show is open to any middle and high school students in the DC Metro Area. Expert teachers and practitioners will teach them to sing and perform in four-part a cappella harmony. The structure is set up for anyone to have a singing experience for the day with a cappella music.
All Chorus students, whether they belong to an A Cappella group or not, are encouraged to participate. Either Mrs. G and/or Mrs. McCormick will attend with them, and we can organize school bus transportation. Also, April 5th is a teacher workday, so you won’t be missing class.
If you would like to participate, please register online at www.harmonizers.org as soon as possible.
For more information on Registration, including payment, go to:
Mason Arts at the Hylton Performing Arts Center
Performances by George Mason University’s Schools of Theater, Dance, & Music!
Mason School of Dance
2019 Gala Concert – Sunday, March 31 at 4 p.m.
Each Spring, Mason dancers perform works by renowned choreographers in the Dance Gala Concert. This extraordinary evening features a dynamic performance of technically demanding and intensely driven work by talented students as they embark upon their promising dance careers.
$28 adults, $15 students and seniors, $10 groups
Mason School of Music
Raising Voices – Sunday, April 7 at 4 p.m.
Showcasing Washington National Opera’s Domingo-Cafritz Young Artists and Mason Opera Join us for a thrilling program of opera, operetta, musical theater arias, ensembles, and scenes that showcase the breathtaking scope and talent of these young artists in the beautiful (and acoustically brilliant) Merchant Hall as they prepare to blossom on the international stage.
$20; Tickets to this performance are FREE to students (up to 2 tickets). Please note, adult companion required for students grades 9 and under. Student ID must be presented.
For more information, please visit: https://hyltoncenter.org/